CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – No. 2 Virginia (4-, 1- ACC) secured a significant early lead and registered hat tips from four various players en route to defeating No. 9 Syracuse (1-2, -1 ACC) 20-11 at Klöckner Stadium Saturday (Feb. 26) afternoon.
Connor Shellenberger (3 ambitions, 4 assists) Matt Moore (3 goals), Griffin Schutz (3 aims) and Payton Cormier (3 plans) all tallied three ambitions apiece in the Cavaliers’ major trounce in excess of Syracuse in the all-time sequence.
With his 1st faceoff victory of the day, Petey LaSalla became UVA’s all-time leader in job faceoff wins. LaSalla (19-28 FO) handed Jack deVilliers’ prior all-time mark of 604 faceoff wins. With 12 victories at the heart-X on Saturday, LaSalla now has 616 occupation faceoff victories.
Matthew Nunes (4-) was in internet for UVA for 56:46 and posted 15 will save, even though previous Cavalier Bobby Gavin (1-2) experienced the decline. Gavin completed Saturday’s contest with 12 saves.
HOW IT Occurred
Virginia, which trailed its opponents by a blended margin of 9-3 in initially intervals moving into Saturday’s recreation, leaped out to an 8-1 direct at the close of the initial. The Cavaliers scored the initial 4 objectives of the contest, together with the initially of the activity from Moore, who skipped Virginia’s previous activity due to injuries. The Orange responded by scoring the very first two aims of the second quarter as well as the ultimate two of the fifty percent, but not just before UVA tallied a few of its own, which include a pair from Cormier. Virginia led 11-5 at the intermission.
The Orange carried their run into the third soon after scoring the very first two targets of the quarter just 30 seconds apart. Right after Schutz’s third intention arrived with 10:31 left in the 3rd, Syracuse scored again-to-back again objectives to shrink the UVA guide to 12-9 with 7:36 to engage in in the period. Then, the Cavaliers embarked on a 6- run that bled into the fourth period of time, but not ahead of Shellenberger and LaSalla scored a pair of aims for UVA in the last 11 seconds of the 3rd. Noah Chizmar’s initial job target with 6:41 to play in the game served seal the Orange’s greatest defeat in collection history.
FROM THE LOCKER Area
Lars Tiffany on today’s speedy start…
“It was incredibly crucial due to the fact we’ve gotten off to sluggish starts the initially number of games this yr and we have gotten off to gradual starts off towards Syracuse previous 12 months in both of those video games that we performed them. That was enormous for our self-assurance. It will help when you have a initial calendar year in objective [and] you can create a lead and then just maintain that direct. Matt Nunes was wonderful these days.”
- Virginia’s 20-11 victory over the Orange marks the greatest margin of defeat in a Virginia win given that the sequence began in 1938. UVA’s past most effective was a 15-7 earn at the Carrier Dome on March 14, 1995.
- With his initially faceoff victory of the working day, Petey LaSalla grew to become UVA’s all-time chief in career faceoff wins. LaSalla (19-28 FO) handed Jack deVilliers’ earlier all-time mark of 604 faceoff wins. With 19 faceoff wins all round Saturday, LaSalla now has 623 job faceoff victories.
- Matt Moore (124 job objectives) moved into 11th on Virginia’s all-time scoring record. With his third and ultimate intention of the working day, Moore handed his previous teammate Dox Aitken (123 vocation objectives). Moore requirements just a single more objective to move into ninth all-time.
- Moore also extended his factors streak to 53 game titles, which began on March 31, 2018.
- With three targets and 4 assists, Connor Shellenberger registered a game-substantial seven points and has posted at least 5 points in his past 8 game titles courting again to the Cavaliers’ NCAA Event very first round matchup versus Bryant (Could 16, 2021) last time.
- Shellenberger has dished out at least 1 support in 21 of his 22 career video games and has registered at minimum three assists in 14 online games.
- Cole Kastner brought about a sport-large 4 turnovers. Kastner has now triggered four turnovers in 3 of UVA’s 4 video games performed so much, together with in back again-to-back again game titles at Towson (Feb. 19) and in opposition to the Orange (Feb. 26).
Virginia hosts Johns Hopkins (3-1) at Klöckner Stadium on Saturday (March 5). Opening faceoff is set for 1 p.m. Following Saturday’s contest versus the Blue Jays is slated to stream on ACCNX.