The Christmas City Traditional champions came back again to CoMo with a objective. Just after a excellent displaying in Bethlehem, Pa., the Tigers geared up to set on a exhibit for the loyal admirers at Mizzou Arena.
And a display they unquestionably put on. Immediately after struggling in the 1st quarter, with turnovers remaining their principal Achilles heel, they set on a defensive and offensive showdown for the relaxation of the sport. Right after foremost 21-19 heading into the 2nd quarter, they only allowed a overall of 27 whole details to SIUE. Debuts had been created, a sure double-double queen is back in motion and a two vocation evenings happened.
Listed here are some takeaways from the blowout gain in excess of the Cougars.
1. Mama Dembele built some shots and had a job high in assists.
- Dembele understands her job is to move and enjoy hard protection, but who claimed she isn’t allowed to just take shots if she has the mojo? In the course of the time, supporters have been equipped to see the progress of her self esteem, principally the offensive close. Mama confirmed her passing IQ by recording a vocation significant 8 assists.
2. The transition offense outmuscled SIUE’s entire court press.
- All the credit rating to Coach Quigley for making use of terrific defense tension. Her crew is scrappy and it can get the job done well. Mizzou utilized to wrestle with advancing the ball on the comprehensive court docket press, but that has transformed in the course of this period. As basketball supporters know, implementing the comprehensive court press simply cannot always get the job done, and making use of it for virtually each individual perform will lead to for a crack down.
- I really do not have the precise range of Mizzou’s offensive details in transition just after the breakdown, but if I was to make a guesstimate it’d be 10 factors. They have figured out how to transform in changeover which will enormously assist them appear conference engage in.
3. When Frank was out with foul hassle, in arrived Sara-Rose Smith.
- Smith is a rebounding machine, but she can also shoot her shot. Right after Frank experienced to go to the bench for early foul issues, the workforce wanted Smith to appear in and make on the scoring finish. She was 4/4 from the discipline with 10 factors and 5 rebounds, like a great reverse layup from a Dembele support. Smith understands her role as a defender, but when she is necessary for offensive production, she is up for the assignment.
4. The double-double queen is back!
- Just after not notching any double-doubles for the duration of the Xmas City Typical, Aijha Blackwell is back again to her typical methods. She muscled by way of defenders and concluded with a stat line of 16 details and 15 rebounds on 5/7 capturing.
5. Welcome to not only the Zou, but college hoops, Skylah.
- Just after around two many years of not taking part in basketball, Skylah Travis has returned to the court docket. With LaDazhia Williams not playing, Travis was capable to get some good minutes. Her to start with details as a Tiger was a layup after an aid by [checks notes] Jayla Kelly. I individually enjoy a article-to-post perform. She finished with 4 factors and 4 rebounds.