Table of Contents
We all know that travel quotes can be powerful. From inspirational travel quotes to motivational quotes about traveling we find that other people often say the words better than we can so we put together these inspiring words of wisdom with our favorite quote photos.
101 Best Travel Quotes
Through inspirational quotes, Dave and I have been motivated to take chances, we’ve been inspired to travel, and strive to live a better life. When we started our travel blog in 2008, we gathered travel quotes to share and were the original bloggers who shared daily inspiring quotes on Twitter more than 15 years ago. Whether you enjoy short quotes or longer ones you are going to enjoy these motivational quotes about traveling.
Favorite Travel Quotes
Inspiring travel quotes have certainly ignited our spirit of exploration and captured the essence of why we travel. For example,
- “A journey is best measured in friends, not in miles,” by Tim Cahill reminds us that experiences and connections matter more than distances traveled.
- Another stirring quote is “Life is short and the world is wide,” attributed to Simon Raven, emphasizing our limited time to explore a vast world.
- The wisdom in St. Augustine’s words, “The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page,” encourages us to broaden our horizons through travel.
- John Steinbeck’s famous saying, “People don’t take trips, trips take people,” reflects the transformative power of travel.
- “Travel far, pay no fare… a book can take you anywhere,” by Anne Morrow Lindbergh, suggests that even in the absence of physical travel, we can journey through the pages of a good book.
Each of these travel quotes offers a unique perspective on the enriching experiences travel brings to life.
Famous Travel Quotes
Feel free to pin, download, and print these best travel quotes to put up these best travel quotes around your house for inspiration!
1. “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” ~ Saint Augustine
Let’s kick our list off with some of the more famous travel quotes by famous people. We’ll get to the more obscure as we go down the list.
This is definitely one of the best travel quotes of all time, but it certainly reads true. One of our favorite travel quotes is “The World is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.
When you travel, the whole world opens up. Travel has helped us to understand the meaning of life and it has helped us become better people. Each time we travel, we see the world with new eyes. Just like reading a book, when you travel, you experience more than only one page of life. Make your life a novel, not a page.
2. “Not all those who wander are lost” ~ J.R.R. Tolkien
This is one of our favorite travel quotes because it gets us. Throughout our lives, people have thought that because we keep traveling and searching for new things to do, we are not focused.
They have often thought we were flaky or unfocused. But travel helped us find our purpose and put focus into our lives. The more we got lost in our travels, the richer our lives became.
Seriously people, not all those who wander are lost. That’s a statement and a quote.
So when you think that the travelers in your life are flighty remember, “not all who wander are lost“
3. “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all” ~ Helen Keller
If Helen Keller can look at life as a great adventure, what excuse do the rest of us have? Take a chance and live life to the fullest. When we are at our most daring is when we feel the most fulfillment.
When we think of this travel quote, we live by it. Adventure is different for everyone, but we try to treat each day by doing something daring and adventurous, it keeps things exciting.
I wonder what she would think now knowing that she is quotes as having one of the most popular travel quotes in the world.
4. “Take only memories, leave only footprints” ~ Chief Seattle
Chief Seattle had many inspiring quotes, but this is probably the most famous of travel quotes, it is also a motto everyone should live by in life.
We need to give back to this world. People often feel they can take home a trophy, sneak a piece of stone from a historic site, or take something from nature.
Travel isn’t about taking, it is about absorbing the beauty of the world. So remember, sometimes only memories are all you need. They are your only private moments to enjoy. So try to take only memories.
5. “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.” ~ Mark Twain
Travel opens our minds and heart and makes us better people. One of our favorite travel quotes by Mark Twain.
6. ” The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.” ~ Marcel Proust
When thinking about travel quotes, we often look to the most popular ones, but quote really make me think. Sure, we can set sail to different lands, but until you change your mind set, you’ll never really immerse in a voyage of discovery.
7. “Travel makes one modest, you see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.” ~ Gustave Flaubert
Traveling quotes often mention the fact of how travel makes you humble and how life experiences are more important than accumulating things.
8. “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do” ~ H. Jackson Brown Jr.
This doesn’t necessarily need to be related to travel quotes it can work for life quotes too. It can be scary to try something new, take a chance, and step out of your comfort zone. But when looking back on life, it’s the chances you didn’t take that you’ll regret.
9. Never go on trips with anyone you do not love.” ~ Hemmingway
As a travel couple, this is one of those travel quotes that is close to our hearts. We love traveling together and couldn’t imagine doing it alone.
10. “Like all great travellers, I have seen more than I remember and remember more than I have seen.” ~ Benjamin Disraeli
This is one of those travel quotes that sum up a traveler perfectly. Over the years, our memories of our travels change and our stories become larger than life. Not only do we forget the bad and remember only the good, but the senses stick with us.
11. “Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta
Before we started traveling in 2000, I only dreamed of writing for a living. But after our travels, I was so moved by many of our experiences I started writing stories to my friends and family.
When we first set off to begin our travel blog, a friend shared the works and travel quotes of Ibn Battuta with me it was through these early recommendations inspired me to become a storyteller.
Adventure Travel Quotes
No best travel quotes list would be complete without adventure quotes. Travel is an adventure and they go hand in hand. These are some of our favorite quotes about the adventure that we’ve collected over the years.
12. “If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine, it’s lethal” ~ Paul Coelho
Travel quotes about adventure are our favorite because we are always pushing our boundaries and when we’re feeling a little afraid or lazy, we always think of this quote.
13. “Great things never came from comfort zones.” ~ Anonymous
It’s true! Of all the travel quotes in this list, I really feel that it rings true to life. Even if you are not traveling, you need to step out of your comfort zone.
Be it taking on a new project, opening a business, or enrolling in a course. When you do something that scares you a little, you can do something great.
14. “If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be.” ~ Maya Angelou
When looking for travel quotes about adventure travel, this one really stuck out by Maya Angelou. It wasn’t until we started to live a life less ordinary that we understood how much control we had over our lives and just how amazing we could make it.
15. “Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey” ~ Babs Hoffman
This doesn’t only have to be one of those quotes on travel alone. Life itself has a lot of potholes. Whether you are traveling or at home working at your job, you should definitely enjoy the journey.
16. “Fear is only temporary. Regrets last forever.”
Are you wanting to travel the world but are afraid to take the next step? The travel quote above says it all. Fear is only temporary, but if you don’t follow your dream, you may regret it forever.
We are not saying to follow travel quotes like this blindly. Don’t put yourself in dangerous situations, but don’t let being afraid of the unknown consume you either.
17. “Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.”
This is one of my favorite travel quotes on adventure travel. It’s scary to step out of your comfort zone, but if you do so with proper training and guidance, a whole new life will begin!
18. “Travel doesn’t become adventure until you leave yourself behind”
Well to me this quote means you have to leave your burdens, your stress, and your preconceived notions behind. To understand travel, you must be open to new possibilities and it will change your life.
19. “Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you. ~ David McCullough
This is one of those quotes about travel that has never rung truer than in today’s society. Everyone is traveling to show off and brag or catch a selfie rather than to have an experience. But its the experience that you’ll remember, not the social share.
20. “Jobs fill your pocket but adventures fill your soul.” ~ Jamie Lyn Beatty
It’s true, we all have to do our job and have our careers. And that is important we need to make money to be able to live. But it is also important to take time to smell the roses and let go of work when you are not in the office.
We have always looked at our lives this way, jobs fill your pocket so that you can spend your down time having a great adventure. Be it travel or at home, life begins outside the office.
Funny Travel Quotes
I love funny travel quotes. Sometimes when we get stressed out or frustrated with travel, we need to sit back and laugh about the little things.
21. “Don’t worry about the world ending today, it’s already tomorrow in Australia.” ~ Charles M. Schulz
We all have worries every day and more than ever the state of the world is in question. But travel makes you forget your troubles and Charles Schulz couldn’t have said it better. It’s the funniest of travel quotes.
22. “I have found out that there ain’t no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate people than to travel with them.” ~ Mark Twain
We have always given the advice that if you want to test to see if you are compatible in your relationship, go and travel together for a while.
Mark Twain could not be more correct. If you can travel with someone you’ll be friends for life! So put these travel quotes to the test and travel with someone right now!
23. “A Journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you can control it. ” ~ John Steinbeck
When traveling, things are often out of our control and we have found that it is better to relax and let go. And that is true for our marriage as well. We can’t always be in control and that is half the fun!
24. “Drink Heavily with locals whenever possible.” ~ Anthony Bourdain
This is a rather funny travel quote by Anthony Bourdain, but it is also very true. Some of our best travel experiences have been when having a few drinks with the locals.
So when we are out late at night, we look to these types of travel quotes for justification. hah!
25. “I told the doctor I broke my leg in two places. He told me to quit going to those places” ~ Henny Youngman
This quote reminds me of my dad. He’s always telling silly jokes like this and I love it!
26. “There is nothing safer than flying, it’s the crashing that’s dangerous.” ~ Theo Cowa
For those of you who are afraid to fly, I am afraid that you are not going to find the humor in this travel quote, but I find it quite cheeky.
27. “I always like to go to Washington D.C. It gives me a chance to visit my money.” ~ Bob Hope
This one made me chuckle because we were just in Ottawa (Canada’s National Capital) and we made a point of saying “Now we know where our taxes go, look at all the beautiful museums and buildings in this city!”
And even though Bob Hope was talking about his home country of the USA, it certainly rings true anywhere. So, we put it in our best travel quotes list, because everyone can relate!
28. “Jet Lag is for Amateurs.” ~ Dick Clark
While I think it’s a funny travel quote, I tend to disagree with Dick Clark. It seems that the more I travel, the worse jet lag gets. But then I suck it up and think of him and then I say “Deal with it Deb, Jet Lag is for amateurs.” See, travel quotes can be motivating!
29. “Travel is glamorous only in retrospect.” ~ Paul Theroux
I love this travel quote so much because it is very true. When we come home from our travels, we always forget the tough times and difficult experiences.
We only remember the beautiful things about our travels and the bad stuff fades away. But let me tell you, we’ve had some very unglamorous travels in our lives.
30. “I wish I had never gone traveling.” Said no one ever.
I don’t know who said this travel quote, but it is straightforward and to the point. If you are looking for travel quotes that capture the feeling of travel, this is it!
Inspirational Quotes About Travel
Inspirational travel quotes can be life-changing. I used to have quotes taped all over my house and now that we have moved into a house again, I’m collecting inspiring quotes about life and adventure. Words have meaning and can change mindsets.
31. “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.” ~Andre Gide
I am going to update this quote though and say Woman and Man Cannot discover new oceans until they lose sight of the shore.
When Dave and I first started our careers in travel, we kept one toe in our careers and one toe in travel. It wasn’t until we finally let go of our safe life in the film industry and took a chance to go all into our new adventure travel careers that everything changed.
32. “It’s Better to Travel Well than to Arrive” ~ Buddha
33. “It is not the destination where you end up but the mishaps and memories you create along the way.” ~ Penelope Riley
We all make mistakes in life and travel. Travel quotes can be relatable in life as well. And it really is the mishaps and adventures you have along the road of life and travel that make for everlasting memories.
34. “The important thing is to never stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing” ~ Albert Einstein
35. “Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.”
Okay so maybe it isn’t exactly the truest of travel quotes because if you buy a house, it may grow in value and if you buy stocks, you may get lucky and hit the jackpot, but you can never go wrong with travel.
But travel brings riches in life with experiences, learning, and making new friends.
36. “I would rather own a little and see the world than own the world and see a little of it.” ~ Alexander Sattler
Quotes about traveling often have a message of being free from possessions and things, and instead of having life experiences instead. It think this travel quote says it the best.
37. “It is better to see something once than to hear about it a thousand times.”
When we saw the Taj Mahal for the first time, we had heard about it many times. We had read about it and people had told us all about it. But it wasn’t until we saw it that we really understand its beauty and meaning.
38. Wherever you go becomes a part of you somehow
We agree with this travel quote indeed. Travel changes a person and it is because of the people you meet and the experiences you have. It is true that you take a piece of a place home with you.
39. “When was the last time you did something for the first time.” ~ Anonymous
We have found that travel gives us the courage to try new things. When we are home in our routine, we become comfortable. But when we travel, we are inspired by others and inspired by the destination.
40. “Someday I’m going to be free and I’m going to travel the world.”
Before we started traveling full time we felt trapped. When we started putting our minds to living a life of travel, we felt the barriers break and soon we were living our dream. This quote is very close to our hearts.
41. “You may say that I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one. I hope someday you’ll join us and the world will be as one.” ~ John Lennon
Travel brings people together. It helps people understand other cultures and religions. What we think we know about other places is thrown out the window, once we land on their soil.
So get out there, meet other people and you’ll soon see that people around the world are just like you and me.
Short Travel Quotes
Dave and I have been gathering quotes about travel for 20 years and shared them since we started our travel blog in 2008. They have always helped to pick us up when we’re down, put life in perspective, or just brought a smile to our faces.
42. “Live with no excuses and travel with no regrets” ~ Oscar Wilde
For life and travel, we all must follow our path without making excuses and we should never live with regrets.
43. “We travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us.”
Many people think traveling quotes are all about people escaping and dreaming. But to us, this quote captures exactly the essence of travel. We never traveled to escape life, we always traveled to find ourselves.
44. “People don’t take trips, trips take people.” ~ John Steinbeck
We all take trips, but most of the time the trip ends up taking a life of its own.
45. “Don’t listen to what they say, go see” ~ Chinese Proverb
Perhaps people tell you not to go to a place because they think it is awful when it is really beautiful. Or perhaps someone constantly tells you how wonderful a destination is.
Go and see for yourself and make up your own mind. That’s what this says to me.
46. “Don’t Quit Your Day Dream”
One of my favorite quotes about wanderlust. One of the things Dave and I are most thankful for is the fact that we never stopped dreaming.
If we settled (like we were supposed to in life) we’d still be working at our jobs thinking we weren’t allowed to have dreams once we reached a certain age. Never stop dreaming.
47. “I don’t know where I’m going, but I’m on my way”
Isn’t this just the dream? I love it when I take a trip and clearly do not have a plan. That is when the real adventures happened in our travels.
48. “Oh, the places you’ll go.” ~ Dr Seuss
It’s a short one, but oh it’s a good one. Whenever we meet someone that is starting to travel or is thinking of traveling, we always think of this quote by Dr. Suess.
These words make us think of adventure. Oh the Places You’ll Go! Doesn’t this make you excited to get out and explore thw world?
49. “Try to Be a Rainbow in Someone Else’s Cloud” ~ Maya Angelou
50. “Life’s a journey, not a destination” ~AEROSMITH
Okay so maybe Ralph Waldo Emerson deserves the credit for Life is a journey, not a destination, but we heard it first through Aerosmith, so I’m giving it to Aerosmith. Because I couldn’t find the proof anyway.
I’ll never forget being in Vietnam in 2003 and while sitting in a bar, they encouraged travelers to write their favorite quotes on its wall.
What did Dave choose? Life’s a journey, not a destination naturally. We have always lived by this motto and of course adventure is for everyone.
51. “Where to next?”
“Where will you travel next? How will travel change you and how will you change the world?”
52. “To Travel is to Live” ~ Hans Christian Anderson
Why does this travel quote resonate so much with us? Before we traveled, we felt that we never truly lived. The more we worked, the more exhausted and disconnected we felt. When we introduced travel into our lives, we felt alive again.
53. “I want to make memories all over the world”
To us, memories mean more than things. When we are out with friends, we have so much to talk about. It’s way more meaningful to have a memory to share than to show off a “thing.”
Meaningful Quotes About Travel
54. “Whenever you find yourself on the side of majority, it’s time to pause and reflect.” ~ Mark Twain
Mark Twain is one of the greats when it comes to creating famous quotes about travel. We have always tried to live a life less ordinary and think outside the box. I do believe this has helped us have success in our business and our relationship.
55. “The world is changed by your example, not your opinion.” ~ Paul Coelho
I think in today’s society this travel quote couldn’t be truer. Many people are quick to attack others through social media and everyone has an opinion.
But what about “being the change?” Positive leadership can be powerful.
56. “To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.” ~ Aldous Huxley
We often have preconceived notions of what other countries are like. But once we visit a destination, we realize that we have it all wrong.
Travel helps us to understand and learn about different cultures and ways of life. We always encourage people to visit other countries to understand the people and cultures around the world.
It’s impossible to truly understand a place until you have met the people, and immersed in the culture.
57. “You must be the change you wish to see in the world.” ~ Gandhi
Travel often opens our eyes to different ways of thinking and understanding the world. We as travel bloggers love to preach what we have learned to the world, but we also need to live by example.
58. “There’s a sunrise and sunset every single day, and they’re absolutely free. Don’t miss so many of them.”
59. “Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
I’ll never forget saying to Dave “I need meaning to my travels” when we first started traveling. It was by creating this blog, creating our videos, and creating our purpose to share our experience that I finally created myself.
60. “If your ship doesn’t come in, swim out to it.” ~ Johnathan Winters
This is certainly one of the best motivational quotes that have to do with travel.
I often hear people complaining that they can never catch a break. But you know what? You can’t wait for things to happen, you have to make them happen.
61. “Without new experiences, something inside us sleeps. The sleeper must awaken.”
Travel can awaken the giant within. It did for us!
62. “Those who follow the crowd usually get lost in it.” ~ Rick Watson
Don’t get lost in the crowd. Be an individual. Think big and be brave. Stand out and live life to the fullest.
Happy Travel Quotes
63. “Doing what you like is freedom, liking what you do is happiness.”
All my life, I worked hard and dreamed of what I might do one day when I retire. Once I learned that doing what you love is happiness. We don’t have to dream about what might be one day.
64. “Because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing.”
Do you ever just stop and take a breath and look around? I am amazed at the little things. Too many of us wait until we are abroad to appreciate life and nature. Get out there now and start living today. From home!
65. “This heart of mine was made to travel this world”
Dave and I feel that our hearts were truly made to travel the world. Even when we worked in the film industry, we were always planning our next trip.
66. “The Impulse to Travel is one of the hopeful symptoms of life”
It’s true. Whenever we have an upcoming trip, we always feel hopeful.
67. “Let’s find some beautiful place to get lost”
Do you get lost when you travel? Or are you a planner? Here, the anonymous traveler quotes an idea to go with the flow, just the way we like it.
68. “I’m in love with cities I’ve never been to and people I’ve never met.” ~ John Green
69. “Travel…the best way to be lost and found at the same time.” ~ Brenna Smith
71. “The journey is my home.”
Dave and I were on the road for seven solid years. We didn’t have a home. People often said to us that they couldn’t imagine not having a home base, but we felt at home on the road. We actually felt more at home on the road than at home.
Unique Travel Quotes
Not all of the best travel quotes are famous. We have dug deep down the rabbit hole of quotes to find some of the more unique quotes about travel out there. Enjoy!
71. “It’s a big world out there, it would be a shame not to experience it.”
We got this traveling quote from our friend JD of EarthXplorer. Well said JD! There is no better piece of advice. I wish my niece and nephews listened to me when I told them this.
72. “You can shake the sand from your shoes, but not from your soul.”
Whenever I read this quotation on travel, I always think of the singer Dido. Do you know that song? “I’ve still got sand in my shoes and I can’t shake the thought of you.” When traveling to islands and beaches, this one always pops into my mind.
73. “Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and think of what could go right.” ~ Anonymous
Over the years we have had many people ask us, “how did we have the courage to do what we do.” Truthfully, we never thought too much about what could go wrong.
When we knew we wanted to cycle Africa or climb a mountain, we didn’t focus on what could go wrong, instead, we focused on the excitement and challenges ahead. So we recommend using this travel quote to help you overcome the “what ifs in life.”
74. “We wander for distraction, but we travel for fulfillment.” ~ Hilaire Belloc
When we first started traveling, people thought we were running away from things. But in truth, we were finding ourselves and we ran right toward our purpose in life. We have never felt so fulfilled as when we do when we’re traveling.
75. “It doesn’t matter where you’re going, it’s who you have beside you.”
We love traveling together and this is our favorite of all couple travel quotes. While we admire solo travelers we are so grateful to having someone to share special moments together.
76. “Traveling is not something you’re good at. It’s something you do, like breathing.” ~ Gayle Foreman
People often say to us “Oh, you must be such great travelers!” and we say, It’s not about being good at something, it is about enjoying what you do. If you enjoyed your travels and if you have a good time, you did a good job!
77. “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” ~ J.R.R. Tolkien
As we get older, we have developed a deeper appreciation of the time we have on earth. After spending many years doing something we did NOT love, we realized that time goes by quickly and we have to make the most of our time.
Now that we have a passion for our careers and adventures, we understand even more how true this quote is.
78. “It feels good to be lost in the right direction.”
Dave and I often get lost when traveling and it is usually the times that we take a wrong turn that we have our greatest adventures.
Getting lost is part of the fun of travel, so don’t over plan too much when planning your travels.
79. “Traveling allows you to become so many different versions of yourself.”
When we started traveling we discovered so many new things about ourselves and each other.
By stepping out of our comfort zone and trying new things, travel helped us become better people and this quote is definitely true for us.
80. “Travel has a way of stretching the mind.” ~ Ralph Crawshaw
Travel expands the mind and without having to study or read books or take a course. We learn and grow without even trying when we travel.
81. “Wandering re-establishes the original harmony which once existed between man and the universe.” ~ Anotole France
Wow, this is certainly one of those deep travel quotes. But it is true! Humans are connected to the universe, when we get out and really travel, we feel that connection stronger.
82. “All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”
How many times have you gone traveling and thought that you have it all planned out? But it’s the surprises and secret destinations along the way that really stick with you for the rest of your life.
83. “A journey is best measured in friends rather than miles.” ~ Tim Cayhill
People really do make the journey. We may only meet someone for a fleeting moment, but they often stay in our memories forever.
84. “Just Go. Go See all the Beauty in the World”
Each day we are grateful that we get to live in this beautiful world.
Not only is the earth’s scenery awe-inspiring, but there is a beauty in the people, culture, and wildlife that we have experienced.
Travel Quotes by Famous People
I love hearing travel quotes from my favorite celebrities and people in history. Check these ones out and see what you think.
85. “I travel not to go anywhere but to go. I travel for travel’s sake.” ~ Robert Louis Stevenson
We just love to travel. It doesn’t matter where. No matter where we go, we always learn something new.
86. “If you’re twenty-two, physically fit, hungry to learn and be better, I urge you to travel – as far and as widely as possible. Sleep on floors if you have to. Find out how other people live and eat and cook. Learn from them — wherever you go.” ~ Anthony Bourdain
87. “Because In The End, You Won’t Remember The Time You Spent Working In An Office Or Mowing Your Lawn. Climb That Damn Mountain.” ~ Jack Kerouak
We have our tasks and chores to do each day, but it is the unique challenges that come with an adventure that we will remember at the end of our lives. I want to be able to say “I climbed the mountain and I lived well.”
88. Paris is Always a Good Idea ~ Audrey Hepburn
89. You go away for a long time and return a different person – you never come all the way back ~ Paul Theroux
90. “You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” ~ Mae West
Ah, Mae West. I can just hear her saying this quote in that fabulous accent. I am sure she wasn’t talking about travel, but we can make anything related to travel quotes.
91. “Two roads diverged in a wood and I – I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference” ~ Robert Frost
Robert Frost said it best, if you take the road less traveled in life, you will probably see success. And when it comes to travel, you can find something amazing if you go off the beaten path.
92. “We travel, initially, to lose ourselves; and we travel next, to find ourselves.” ~ Pico Iyer
93. “Once a year, go someplace you’ve never been before.” ~ Dalai Lama
94. Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
95. “The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.” ~ Henry David Thoreau
96. “There is no moment of delight in any pilgrimage like the beginning of it” ~ Charles Dudley Warner
My favorite part of traveling is the anticipation. This captures that perfectly.
97. “The most beautiful in the world is, of course, the world itself.” – Wallace Stevens
98. “Keep your face always toward the sunshine – and shadows will fall behind you.” ~ Walt Whitman
I have found that travel has helped me become an optimist. The more experiences I have, the more positive my life becomes.
99. “Try to be a rainbow in someone else’s cloud” ~ Maya Angelou
100. “Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends.” ~ Maya Angelou
101. “The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams” ~ Oprah Winfrey
It was Oprah Winfrey that got us hooked on inspiring quotes so how could we not finish off our best travel quotes list with words of wisdom by the Grand Dame of Show Biz, inspiration, and philanthropy? And it is definitely a great way to end.
Bonus Travel Quotes
And we leave you with not the most inspirational travel quote, but this one is practical for travel.
“When preparing to travel, lay out all your clothes and all your money. Then take half the clothes and twice the money” – Susan Heller.
Not truer words have been said about packing. The best way to travel is to travel light. You can always buy something if you forgot it or need it, but seriously, chances are you probably won’t.
You’ll be surprised just how few clothes and accessories you’ll need to travel. So when packing for your next trip remember… When preparing to travel, lay out all your clothes and all your money. Then take half the clothes and twice the money.
Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands. ~ Sir Richard Burton
It’s getting more difficult to find unknown lands as the world shrinks in the age of Instagram and TikTok. But it is still possible so, start searching for those unknown lands today.
And I think to myself, what a Wonderful World – Louis Armstrong
And we leave you with the wise words of Louis Armstrong. Seriously, do you ever just think to yourself, what a wonderful world? We do.
When we took our first travels in 2000, we felt a huge change in ourselves. Our lives were never the same. We never came all the way back, we have left a piece of ourselves around the world and we wouldn’t have it any other way.
What are your favorite travel quotes? Now that we’ve got your wanderlust juices flowing, please share your favorite travel quotes in the comments below.
All images belong to The Planet D and are from our travels around the world to seven continents and 110 countries.